Alongside of the “blue” Danube lies the renowned and most famous cycling path in Europe. Passau to Vienna is an absolute cycling classic. Discover the enchanting river landscape, picturesque villages, lush vineyards and countless cultural sites from the time of the Romans and Nibelungengau.
As you cycle comfortably along the banks of the mighty river, enjoy the wooded forests and the magical meadows of the Schlögener Loop, Strudengau, Nibelungengau and Wachau, as each region offers its own impressive and unique attractions. Art and cultural features convey myths and stories of the past while quaint accommodations and taverns invite you to relax in the culinary world of Austria. The welcoming Austrian hospitality and the scrumptious Austrian cuisine add to this absolutely remarkable experience.
- Type of tour Self-guided
- Level 1
- Duration 8 days
- Distance 35 km
- Abbey of Melk
- Schlögener Loop
- Wachau valley
- 7 Nights in chosen category, rooms with private facilities
- Breakfast or 6 x dinner (surcharge, only breakfast in Vienna)
- Daily luggage transport (1 suitcase per Person/ max. 20 kg)
- Welcome drink at arrival hotel in Passau
- 1 Bottle of high-level wine in the Wachau Valley per room
- A tasting of regional products
- 1 x train Krems – Tulln incl. bike
- 1 x train ride Vienna – Passau (transfer of own bike not included) in season 1+2
- 1 x bus ride Vienna – Passau (incl. own bike ) in season 3, train ride back possible (advanced notification necessary)
- Free WLAN in all hotels
- Service-hotline (also on weekends)
- Handlebar bag with route book, maps and information material per room
- reservation costs (€ 20,- per booking)
- bicycle rent
- dinners, lunches and consumptions
- travel and cancellation insurances
- excursions (entrance fee for museums/gardens/parks)
- Helmet purchase – payable in advance € 22
- Supplement train ride Vienna airport – Vienna central station (price will follow)
Operated by local partner.
Please take good notice of our booking conditions.
No bike insurance available for this tour.
1 piece of luggage per person, max. weight 20 kg.
Possibility to return by cruise ship (not included).
Arrival by plain (arrival at airport Munich or Vienna)
We recommend to travel by train to Passau.
From Munich we also offer a transfer to the hotel in Passau (must be reserved at time of booking). Price per person: one-way € 61, -/ both directions € 103, -.
Arrival by train
You can take a scheduled bus or taxi from Munich airport to train station in Freising. From Freising you can take a train to Passau.
Costs are approx. € 30,- (by train); € 55,- (taxi+train).
Depending on your hotel you can either choose to walk or take a taxi or bus from the train station in Passau.
Arrival by car
We recommend to bring your luggage to the hotel before parking your car.
Because the free parking in the city of Passau only intended for a short time, we recommend parking your car in one of the Parkhouses in Passau. Costs are between € 35,- and € 65,- per week. Detailed information about the parkings will be included in the travel documents.
At the first hotel your room is available from 2 PM on the day of arrival. In case you will arrive after 7 PM, please call your hotel to let them know.
The standard tour includes bed and breakfast. It is also possible to book half board; this has to be asked for upon booking.
Half board includes breakfast and dinner and starts with dinner on the first day until breakfast on the day of departure except for the dinner in Vienna.
The cycling path is completely paved from one end to the other, flat, almost always directly along the riverbank, very suitable for beginners.
All bike tours are unescorted.
The mileages and approximations are distances of the recommended routes.
Please be prepared by packing all necessary items, for example, proper rain gear (jacket
and pants), sun hat, sunscreen and proper sport shoes.
The arrival to Passau is not included in the tour price and has to be arranged on your own.
Rental bikes & equipment
7-speed-bikes with back pedal brake, 21- speed bikes, (ladies/gents) or Electric bikes.
All rental bikes are equipped with a pannier (saddle bag) and an odometer (except Electro bike).